People need clarification about taking proper coaching for IELTS or studying at home. But the main question surrounding their mind is how to start preparing for IELTS at home.
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss.
This quote exactly suits the situation of IELTS. IELTS stands for international English language testing System. This testing system is the combined effort of the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations, The British Council, and IDP Education Australia.
As someone who has migrated to and lived in Australia for the past several years and someone who works with licensed immigration lawyers through Immigration Portal, I have personal experience in IELTS preparation. In this article, you will learn in detail about IELTS and how to prepare for IELTS at home. Not only this, but you will also learn about tips and tricks. It will help you with the most confusing question, “how to start IELTS preparation at home?”
I will walk you through the application and approval process. This includes the requirements and what to expect once you arrive in Australia.
IELTS is an international English language test that is conducted for non-native speakers. This test is designed for non-native people who want to prove their language ability to work, study or migrate. Since English is an international language, giving IELTS and securing better marks is critical. The test is divided into four segments:
However, the score requirements are variable depending on the country you are applying to.
The article below states how to start preparing for IELTS at home.
To know how to prepare for IELTS at home, you first need to learn the score requirements for IELTS. The main requirement is that you should be a non-native English speaker. IELTS is only to test the English language ability of a non-native speaker. These requirements are the key to how to start preparing for IELTS at home.
Admission to University or College
- The minimum requirement for getting admission in Australia is 6.5 bands for undergraduates and no less than 6.0 bands for postgraduates.
- For Canada, you have to get at least 5.5 bands for each section of IELTS and an average of 6.0 bands.
- The Undergraduate requirement for IELTS in the UK is 6.0. While for the Postgraduation, you should have at least a score of 6.5 bands.
- In the USA, most universities accept an IELTS score of 6.5 bands. But to get admission to top Universities in the USA, you should get a 7.0 band at least.
- In Australia, the minimum IELTS requirement is 6.0 bands for each section of IELTS.
- In the USA, as of now, there are no minimum requirements for PR. But to avoid future changes in the policy, try to acquire 6.5 bands at the least.
- In the UK, there are 2 types of Visas, Tier 1(Entrepreneur VISA) & Tier 2 (Graduate Entrepreneur), which require a minimum of 4 bands in each section. Requires
- For Candian PR, You should at least have a score of 6.0 for each section of IELTS and CLB 7.
- The Citizenship of Australia requires 6.0 bands.
- For Citizenship in Canada, you don’t have to give the reading and writing section of IELTS. But you should acquire 4 bands in speaking and 4.5 in listening with CLB 4.
- To get citizenship in the UK, you should get 4 or above in speaking and listening.
- In the USA, the minimum requirement for speaking is 7.0 and overall 6.5 bands.
How to Prepare for IELTS at Home?
Here are some tips on how to start preparing for IELTS at home:
- First, familiarize yourself with the format of IELTS. There are two test formats one is academic, and the other one is general. Understand the format you’re applying for and keep yourself up-to-date with the scoring system.
- You need to study the IELTS syllabus thoroughly. Understand the topics that are important for IELTS. The test syllabus is present on the official website of IELTS.
- Everything comes downs to its place when you practice. Practice is the key component that can solve the problem of how to start IELTS preparation at home.
- The various sample test questions are available on IELTS official website. Try to solve them as many times as possible. It will help you in learning how to answer questions.
- Work on your English skills. Improve your reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills. You can do it by incorporating the English language into your daily life as much as you can. Try eating books, watching English shows without subtitles, and trying to write on diverse topics. This is how to prepare for IELTS at home.
- Listen to your surroundings. Read daily newspapers, watch news channels, and listen to unique and new words. It will enhance your vocabulary and listening skills.
- Target your weaknesses. Work on things that seem back-breaking to you. For example, if writing is difficult for you, start writing now. Start writing on different topics while keeping the word limit in mind.
- Take online courses. Many platforms like Coursera can help you with it.
- Join different groups and try to learn with some studies made. While doing so, your speaking skills and listening skills will surely flourish.
- there are many online groups available on Facebook. Join them and get in touch with the teachers and students who are giving IELTS are the one who teaches it.
Remember these steps for how to start preparing for IELTS at home. Remember to be consistently disciplined and dedicated to your preparation. If you need any further assistance, you can contact the Student Portal. We have a Government-affiliated agent who will provide you with the requirement regarding IELTS.
We have made a checklist for you to know how to start IELTS preparation at home.
- You should have a valid government-issued ID. This may include a valid passport or a national ID card. You should keep it with yourself on the test day.
- Now you have to register yourself for the IELTS exam. You can either register online or go to the IELTS test center. Fill out their information form and pay the examination fees.
- There are two types of tests for IELTS: Academic and General. Choose the test format according to your needs.
- Go for the test date. The IELTS test is conducted daily; you can select the date according to your feasibility.
- The necessity of this test is to prepare well. While reading this article, you will know how to prepare for IELTS at home.
- Listen to the students who have given IELTS before. Learn the mistakes they made and try to avoid them.
- Increase your general knowledge. Know what’s going on around the world. Try to learn new things about the country to which you are applying.
- Take online mock tests or exams. Watch some YouTube videos and take notes from them. You can take these tests and learn how to prepare for IELTS at home.
- Read books, magazines, and diversified topics. When you read them, you will find different and Complex words. Understand their meanings, their synonyms, and their antonyms. These are the simplest things you can do to start preparing for IELTS at home.
- Try to incorporate different and unique words into your sentences but don’t try to make them complex, for example. My main goal is to achieve 7 bands in IELTS. You could use the word “objective” instead of a goal in this sentence, but using grail here might sound confusing.
Write down this checklist somewhere in front of you. This will help you how to prepare for IELTS at home.
If you’re wondering how to prepare for IELTS at home, here are some tips to help you get started. Follow these tips as a guide for how to start preparing for IELTS at home.
1. Create a study plan with time management
When we are at home, we tend to do some other chores instead of working or studying. How to prepare for IELTS at home? is simple to answer, only if you stay consistent with your plan. Make a study plan that dedicates an equal amount of time to each section of IELTS, including reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
2. Get help from Study Materials
Get help from the study materials that are present online. Numerous practice quizzes, sample questions, and online tests are available online. Familiarise yourself with the type of questions in the IELTS test. Many YouTube channels and groups on Facebook share relevant and important things regarding IELTS. Take as much help as you can from them. Get in touch with those students who have acquired a 7, band, or above in their IELTS test.
3. Practice, Practice, and Practice
As an MBA graduate and study Consultant for about 25 years, I can tell you where the problem lies. Many students who apply for IELTS get difficulties in writing and speaking. But another problem is that students don’t practice it as much as is needed. Practicing writing will improve your writing skills. Try to write 300 words or 500 words daily within a restricted time limit when practicing for IELTS at home. Try to speak in English and use unique and different vocabulary than you use daily.
4. Read and Listen
Reading and listening are other important targets for how to start preparing for IELTS at home. Try to read novels, newspapers, grammar books, and dictionaries. These things will help you in increasing your vocabulary and reading skills. For the listening part, watch news channels, TV shows, and podcasts without subtitles. These will enhance you are listening abilities and increase your focusing power.
5. Grammar and Pronunciation
Work on grammar and pronunciation. As pronunciation is essential for speaking, grammar is essential for writing too. Therefore, you need to improve them. As for speaking, try to speak with a native speaker or take help from an online tutor. Get their feedback and understand your mistakes and work on them. for proper grammar, you should understand the Syntax and rules of grammar. To write proper English, you need to know the rules of Grammar. If you speak like and native and write like them, cheer up! You are ready to strike.
Remember, preparing for IELTS at home requires dedication and hard work. With the right approach and these tips, you know how to start preparing for IELTS at home. however, you can achieve a high score and reach your goals
According to the British Council, the current IELTS general training test fee is BDT 20,250.
The preparation time for IELTS depends upon proficiency in English and individual capability. If you stick to your preparations religiously, then you will be able to complete them earlier. Generally, most people complete their preparation within 4 to 6 weeks of their initiation. Therefore it’s an intelligent approach to make a study schedule and follow it properly.
- IELTS is recognized by 10,000 universities globally.
- The total score of IELTS is 9 bands, out of which 7 or above is considered excellent in every aspect.
- Listening, writing, and reading sections of the IELTS test take place on a computer. While the speaking test is taken by an examiner in-person.
- IELTS test results are valid for 2 years from the date it has been given. But if you are applying after that, you must retake the exam.
- According to a report published by statistics, in 2019, there were a higher number of female achievers in IELTS the males. Female test takers got 6.1 out of 9, while the males got 6.04.
Yes, anyone can prepare for IELTS at home. There are many online courses available on different websites. Coursera is one example of those website. You can study from there or can take help from YouTube. There are many YouTubers that provide study materials related to it.
Start preparing for IELTS by creating a study plan, understanding the pattern of IELTS, looking for the syllabus, and starting to prepare. Get in touch with the previous test takers and teachers. Connect with them and seek feedback.
For an average person, preparing for IELTS requires 4-6 weeks. But it depends upon the individual who is preparing. For that, you have to be dedicated and prepare for it as you do for other exams.
Without coaching, it is feasible to pass the IELTS test. You may utilize various resources, including the official IELTS study guides and online courses, to be ready for the test. Compared to a formal coaching program, consistent, self-directed study and practice can be helpful in assisting you in achieving your goal score. Still, it may take more discipline and motivation.
Yes, it is possible to crack IELTS for an average student if you have prepared well. It depends on how you prepare for IELTS at home. An average student may get their goal score on the IELTS exam with consistent study and practice, a good attitude, and confidence.
Studying for the IELTS exam at home is straightforward, using authorized study materials, online courses, and practice exams. If you follow these tips and techniques, then you are already ahead of how to prepare for IELTS at home. On the day of the exam, keep yourself composed and confident. Work hard and only take the test when you are entirely prepared to. For more information, you can contact the Student Portal or book an appointment with the consultant.
DISCLAIMER: Please note that the information provided on this website is for general understanding only and should not be considered as legal advice. Every pages of the website is not updated every day. It is recommended to consult with our lawyers for latest information.